50′ Joel White Downeast Cruiser
Maine Idea is a one-off pilot-house trawler designed by Joel White and built at the Brooklin Boatyard in 1982 for a family from Blue Hill, ME. The design brief was for a comfortable, seaworthy, 50 ft. Downeast-style boat with accommodation for 6+ adults that could cruise New England in the summer and go south each winter on her own bottom.
Maine Idea was what White came up with and she fit the bill perfectly. She’s well equipped, stable, seaworthy with an attractive, proportional profile that belies the size of her interior. Maine Idea offers the opportunity to own a custom Maine-built Joel White designed displacement cruiser for the same price as many comparable production boats. She is the perfect boat for a couple or family interested in extending New England cruising into the shoulder seasons or for long distance cruising down the ICW to the Bahamas or up into the Maritimes and the Gulf of St Lawrence.
Maine Idea’s interior is comfortable, well-lit and cleverly laid out with plenty of living space and accommodation for 6 in 3 cabins. You enter the boat from one of two sliding doors on either side of the raised pilot-house/salon. The helm and navigation equipment are on the forward bulkhead with a seating/dining area behind. The engine room is beneath the pilot-house sole.
Moving aft there are two steps down and then a dining area to starboard and galley to port. Aft of the galley and dining area is the owner’s cabin and head. The cabin has a pull-out double berth to starboard and provides walk through access to the aft cockpit. The head is to port and has a sink, toilet and bath/shower.
Forward of the pilot-house there are two guest cabins on the port side, each with upper and lower single bunks and a hanging locker. Forward to starboard there’s a head with a sink, toilet and separate shower.
- White Oak backbone timbers
- Douglas Fir planking on laminated White Oak frames
- Silicon Bronze fasteners
- Decks and cabin house top are marine ply sheathed in Dynel
- Marine Ply superstructure
- Engine – Volvo Penta TAMD 102B – 375 hp
- Gearing – Marvin M0-514C
- 5” Stainless prop shaft
- 36” 4 blade bronze prop
- Westerbeke 10.0/7 10 Kw generator
- 12/24v DC and 110V AC electrical systems
- Victron Battery Charger
- Halon fire suppression system
- Hot and cold freshwater system
- Saltwater washdown pump
- Ideal Electric Windlass
- Garmin 740s and 128 chart plotter displays
- Furuno Radar
- ICOM Vhf
- 10” Constellation compass
- Detamarine depth finder and speedometer
Tender: 12’ Dark Harbor tender – marine ply sheathed with Dynell with a 15hp yamaha
Rockport Marine work 2017 – Present:
- Engine work – Rebuilt turbo, alternator and heat exchanger, new coolant water pump
- New freshwater pump and pressure tank
- New exhaust on engine and generator
- New batteries
- Topsides paint and varnish
- Rebuilt hydraulic steering system
- Awl-gripped deck
- New aft cockpit hatch